Sunday, December 15, 2019

The End of my Time Here In 2019 (With New Adventures in 2020)

On Wednesday, I returned to Nando's for a treat!
 

The weather has officially taken a turn for the chillier here, and December has revealed itself as a true winter month. There's not much snow on the ground here -- that was absolute hell back over the Remembrance Day weekend -- and moreso ice.

Unfortunately, later that Wednesday, I grappled with very tough emotions, to the point that I did not even go to the lab on Thursday. Thursday was not a pleasant or productive day for me. There was some good parts though: 1) I sought out the emotional support of my RA, having an hour long conversation with him (which is something I usually am scared to do) and 2) my dad got back to me about my lit review draft and he gave me helpful advice on it.
Friday I of course went to the lab! I had some meetings and work to take care of. There were still successes this week: My prof gave me permission to submit my literature review draft this coming Monday. And my dad told me the draft was actually quite good. This review is so important to me *because* it is my first concrete deliverable during my Fulbright.

On Friday, however, I headed (rushed?) back to my place -- after the very short departmental holiday party -- feeling this horrible quick heart rate and experiencing a widespread sweating feeling. The excessive warmth enveloped my body, so I felt *forced* to go outside. Even though this Friday is maybe the coldest day I've experienced here. I know that the drop in temperature and my evil experience Wednesday evening contributed heavily to this situation. The heart rate, to be clear, was probably 150 bpm or higher, which is dramatic EVEN FOR AN ANXIETY ATTACK. (My resting heart rate tends to be around 90-100 bpm.) Somehow this was worse. It was not because of exercise but some physiological reaction. My stress was, somehow, just that high. (I am 'fine' now but will 100% tell my cardiologist this coming Friday.)

Actually, I had planned to visit the Victoria Park, but my heart troubles and the cold weather discouraged me from going. It was simply too cold to be outside for more than 15 minutes at a time, so a park was completely out of the question. It would probably take 15 minutes *Just to get there*, which did not sound fun.
Thankfully, the park was near the government buildings.

I chose to visit the government 'plaza' that is downstairs, north of the river. The train station fortunately led directly inside. Many images are below but I do not have the energy to comment on them too much. Just some general impressions: the buildings had a lot more emphasis on accessibility than I expected. Ramps were always just as visible as stairs, which made me happy, even for seemingly older buildings. Signage was generally good as well. Paths outside were cleared. Generally better than the rest of the city, including THE AREA NEAR THE GOVERNMENT BUILDINGS.

Personally, I would like to come up with a community engagement reason to return to these buildings.































I must admit-- I laughed when I saw that this area was called a park.


Unfortunately, one elevator stopped working at the train station; it took nearly 30 minutes to locate the other elevator to let me to the train station. And a couple strangers helped me but they were...weird. I was really relieved to not see them again, being totally honest.

Maybe I should not have gone out again -- because Friday was a cold day, and I was feeling great emotional stress, which maybe led to physical stress-- but I wanted to go to Jollibee. I've heard of it but never had a real opportunity to go. I had seen it in passing while seeing the city with my parents (back in August).

However, the bus 304 in this city deserves an outright callout; this stop was absolutely awful because of the snow and the lack of curb cuts. I should not be punished for taking my scooter, but I felt punished.

 Jollibee itself was priced well and the staff were very kind -- they offered to bring me things because I was in my scooter. The yumburger itself had a really pleasant, light beef taste that reminded me more of keema than of hamburgers. I would like to go again sometime~



But I had issues because THE SAME BUS was the only bus I could take back to the train station. I could not get to that bus stop and missed the bus. In fact, I tried to get the bus's attention from the side, but they just honked at me and went on. (What a rude person.) In possibly the coldest weather I have experienced so far. I had to make my way to another bus stop and wait probably 15 minutes, and this is not including all the backtracking! For some reason, this particular area especially hates anyone with mobility limitations.

My hands and feet felt so chilly that they became numb and stung. (Admittedly, my gloves and shoes were not good for the occasion.) This was because of the cold but also because of the excessive amount of time I had to be outside. And I had to be outside for so long because of the poor accessibility. When I got home, I felt absolutely relieved, but I knew that this day had probably been far too much for me.

Readers, you are probably hoping there is a good story somewhere here. But unfortunately, I ended up getting so lost -- after walking to the right place and not realizing it -- that I had to take an Uber. And the uber cost me $40 just to get back to the right place. I was pretty angry but I knew I should still take a look. There was a big problem with how Uber and Google Maps read addresses here. There's also Ave vs St here too. But I found myself especially upset with how addresses are written and read here. I had never had this experience in my 4 months here! This was a rough learning experience, but I made it through. That's the main good outcome here.

So I went to the market mentioned below.

 For a free event, this was pretty alright. I was still quite angry with myself and with the city. So the event could not have been truly "worth it", but at least I got some nice pictures.







 

After the Market, I finally had an easy journey and made my way to the library, my real goal for today. 

Okay, I lied. 

I had to take an Uber because of the bus wait times, and I even had to figure out a credit card issue. (Not exactly the most fun Saturday.) But getting to the library, dropping off my two books, and heading back home felt relieving. However, I felt tired for the rest of the day.

What's left for me while here? In these like two days lol. Today (Sunday) I am working on packing, organizing, cleaning, and laundry. And I also have DnD today. Tomorrow (Monday) I will wrap up cleaning, submit my literature review, and just relax before I leave for the airport (early on Tuesday morning).

How has it been 4 months?

No comments:

Post a Comment